Enrolments are still open for Food Safety Training on 29/11 and RSA 4/12.
We were busy little beetles during the weekend getting our Orange the World display in place. Our display is located on sections of Bridge Street, Princes Street, Mine Road and Shellcot Road in Korumburra. We have also set up a selfie banner on our veranda so you can stop by Milpara, 21 Shellcot Road and take your photo, we would love to see them shared to help spread the word.
What is all the fuss about Orange the World? It is 16 days of activism against violence. While there is no comprehensive data on all people who experience violence, the following Australia-wide statistics prove the urgent need for change:
- every 2 minutes family violence results in a police call-out
- 95% of male and female victims report a male perpetrator
- on average at least one woman a week is killed by a partner or former partner
- women are 5 times more likely than men to require hospitalisation due to family violence
In addition to personal impacts, there are substantial social and economic costs. Estimates suggest that the annual cost of family violence in Victoria in 2014-15 was approximately $3.1 billion.
In an emergency, you should always call 000. Some other helpful contacts people may like to make themselves aware of, because you never know when they may come in handy are
- 1800 Respect: Sexual assault, domestic violence and suicide prevention 1800 737 732 1800respect.org.au
- Men’s Referral Service: Anonymous and confidential telephone counselling, information and referrals 1300 766 491 mrs.org.au
- Safe Steps: Family violence confidential support and information response line 1800 015 188 safesteps.org.au
- Lifeline: 24hr telephone crisis support. Online self-help resources information 13 11 14
We have a more information on our website Milparacommunityhouse.org.au